Sunday, August 26, 2012

Kimchi Party!





My blog is called "Kimchi Party"  because

     


1.) I freaking ADORE Kimchi
                                                          2.) I like Parties
                                                          3.) I couldn't think of anything better, hey, it's pretty catchy.

Besides my "passion for fashion" *gross cliché*, I really like to cook food.   Food is the best way to learn about culture.  I really think Korean Food doesn't get the recognition it deserves.  It's so dynamic with it's colors and flavors that I can't get anywhere else.

Anyway, Unlike most people, I'd rather make it myself than buy , and Kimchi is one of those things that taste so much better when made from scratch.  I really encourage all my readers to try making something themselves from time to time.  You would never know how good you are at it, or how much better it is!

I started Kimchi making around my freshman year of college when I lived in San Francisco(2009).  I had so much access to different cultures!  I lived in the SOMA neighborhood and it was near the civic center plaza where there would be farmer's markets selling local produce that was not only affordable, but organic!  I used Maangchi's recipe for my kimchi recipe.  Hands down, Emily Kim (Maangchi) is the best Korean food guru!  I like to watch her videos because she kind of reminds me of a Korean mom EVERYONE wants :)

Sorry for being too wordy, It's important to read from time to time, no?  Besides, Kimchi is super healthy and nutritious for you!  It goes great with a lot of meats, fried/grilled.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE eating Kimchi with a steaming bowl of rice  and a fried egg, plus It's a super fast and healthy breakfast too!
Kimchi making relaxes me hahahahaha I'm an Ahjumma in training!  I promise to post more Fashion/D.I.Y in the future.  I just want to share the gift of Kimchi hahahaha

Let's start :) *btw, I'm not going to be very detailed in this post, Maagnchi's site will tell you the exact measurements, I just wanted to show you How I did it.  btw, I forgot the green onions because I'm smart hahaha*



Hot pepper powder, sugar, rice flour and salt.  These ingredients make the paste for the Kimchi.
You usually add fish sauce or raw oyster/squid to help aid the fermentation process, but I just used fish sauce because my brother's don't like seafood chunks in their Kimchi :(



The star!  Napa cabbage/Chinese cabbage is the most important part of Kimchi/배추 김치
Sorry for the bruised one on the left.  Brother's aren't very gentle with produce D:

Let it sit in cool dark place after salting
My favorite part is cutting off a LITTLE bit of the ends and splitting the bead in half.  Don't cut it all off, you want the head of cabbage to be intact still.  Wash the cabbage after you cut it.  

you chop the veggies, you should add water to your rice flour and heat it in a pot on the stove on low heat.  Add the hot pepper flakes and fish sauce too!  Then add your chopped veggies.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.
.
.
Store it in an airtight container! Leave out for a day to fully ferment :D

Finished Product 

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

 .
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Nom nom nom


Want me to throw you a Kimchi Party?  Leave comments or suggestions for me and i'll enthusiastically respond with my KIMCHI BREATHE!  MUAHAHAHA

3 comments:

  1. No problem! Thanks for taking the time to read! i appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is amazing! I love kimchi as well, and I have yet still to make it from scratch. Maybe it doesn't help that my mother always sends me some, or that I'm too lazy. Either way, this was a great post!!

    I'm so glad I came acorss your blog somehow. I'm now your newest follower via greader. ;) I look forward to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw this! Sorry for the late response D: Thanks for reading my blog! I totally appreciate it :)

      Delete