Monday, August 20, 2012

Summer Chili


       My first Recipe post for this blog :)  I really wanted something Tex-Mex and hearty so I defaulted to Chili.  I love the smokey, meaty and heat it gives when you take a bite!  I've tried Chili from restaurants in the Philippines and let me say, they have been really disappointing.  Rather than sit back, I decided to make it myself from scratch :)  The great thing about this that you can leave out the meat if you want to make it Vegetarian!  I'm no chef, but I like to cook often and I'd rather buy ingredients to cook than go out to eat.  Plus, my paranoia of food poisoning is gone when I know I cooked it myself.  Let's start!

Ingredients:

1/2 Kilo of Ground Beef
1/2 kilo of Tomatoes (Fresh!!!!!)
2 Tbsp of Tomato paste
1 can of Kidney beans
1/2 cup of White beans
1/2 tbsp of Cumin
2 Tbsp of Chili powder
1 whole White Onion
2 Red Bell Peppers
4 Tiny ass Chili Peppers (these fuckers are HOT)
4 cloves of Garlic
1/2 Tbsp of oil
1 cup of Water
Salt and pepper to YOUR taste (no one wants kidney stones)
A heavy pot of some kind you can cook shit in.

Generic, white beans. If Taylor Swift was a legume, she'd be these


You have to soak these guys for 6 hours at room temperature.  After they're done soaking, you discard the water and set aside for later.


I have no idea what is wrong with me.  I wonder if there will be a Plant version of P.E.T.A.  Yikes!  Food is more fun to make when you imagine them with faces!   Anyway, peel and chop the Garlic like a maniac and rinse the beans and drain.


Hhahahah The lumpy Tomato looks like someone I know.  Hopefully they're full of Lycopene!  The picture after this one is really morbid if you think about it.  I just KILLED THE COUPLE! MUAHAHAHA 
I'm totally joking, I just thought I add some funny banter for those actually reading.  It's fun to read too you know



I warned you, I had to kill them in a Samurai like fury.  OMG imagine if vegetables were like the Mandrake Root from Harry Potter, except they scream when we have to cut them! The horror!  Any way, just de-seed the bell pepper and take out the white membrane stuff from the inside.  No one likes bitter shit in their food.  


     Oh these things, You add them after you brown the meat.  (I didn't take a picture of the meat because it literally looked like brains)  Cumin and Chili powder is very important for Chili.  The tomato paste adds a nice, acidity to this.  Idk, it just adds more slow cooked flavored to the dish. 

      For Non-Filipino readers the packaging says "It's really Tomato" and the last bit says "Delicious"  Notice how it's Halal safe and not Kosher safe hahaha I always forget that we don't have a lot of Jewish people in the Philippines.  
What a shame!  I'd KILL for a Latke right now.

Any way, the great thing about this is that you just dump everything in and cook until the meat is browned, then add the water and put on the lid.  Simmer on Medium for an hour and a half.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


There you have it! Add cheese or what ever is available that is also cheese like.  Pretty easy and can feed a whole bunch of Mofos in your house.  Serve with corn bread or brown rice.....  






............Or you can serve it with a nice cold beer.  Locally brewed because I'm a hipster (joke)  I hope you guys go out and try it!  Damnit, this would have been great with Tortilla Chips, you know, the ones that come in big ass sacks in the Mexican grocery store. If you have any questions feel free to ask! :)  I don't bite, unless you're made of Chocolate.


6 comments:

  1. "The lumpy tomato looks like someone I know." - WHO OMG HAHAHAHAHA SPILL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Not as cute as you :)) omg Blogger that you were Spam :(

      Delete
  3. HAHAHAHAHA omg I'll tell you when I see you :D I kept laughing and felt bad when I had to cut "them" up hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg! The Faces!!! That chili looks so good.
    Sorry I didn't comment on your other posts, I'll do it all here now.
    That bag was adorable, although getting your hands cut up probably sucked balls. Can't wait to see you looking like a hipster in your cowlscarf this december!! Augh!! Three more months!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh child I'm excited too!!! We can have knitting parties! :D

      Delete